Thursday, May 28, 2009

Countdown to Sunfeast World 10K 2009 on 31st May

Life has been extremely hectic the past couple of weeks – and I have not been able to make time to catch up on the pending posts – definitely hope to do so this weekend after the Sunfeast 10K on 31st May. Based on the pre-race publicity in the media it looks like the second edition of this event will definitely be much bigger than the first one and hopefully at least as well organized. I consider myself more of a long distance runner specializing in Full Marathons and I have been able to improve my performance at this distance in the last couple of years. I have typically not been able to do very fast 10Ks or HMs. However, I did enjoy last year’s Sunfeast 10K and am looking forward to it again. Especially after my ‘personalised’ running bib and the goodie bag got delivered to me a couple of days ago – courtesy Bangalore Cares and Dream A Dream – the excitement has been on the rise. Again several of the family members are participating – my brother Chandru is running the 10K – while my son Rahul and my brother’s son Akshay are doing the Majja run. My Chennai based brother Mahesh and his wife Lakshmi are pulling out of the race as Mahesh has been transferred to Mumbai from Chennai and is busy with the related logistics.

Last year I missed my target of doing the 10K in 50 minutes by about 30 seconds. This year I am definitely in better running form - however the impact of all the running I have been doing the last 10 months is beginning to show. Ideally I should have done a couple of fast 9Ks at close to 5 minutes per Km pace after the FM on 17th May. But I have not been able to make the time to do this. Nevertheless, I remain positive that my target is achievable- one lesson from last year is to breakaway from the crowds early and get a faster start. The 8:10 am start instead of 9am should also help. If it turns out to be a not too warm a day then I don’t intend to make too many water stops. The intent is to focus on the run and give it my best and see what happens.

I am also making a final push to raise funds for Dream A Dream – will be wrapping up my efforts for this year the week following the Sunfeast run. I am quite overwhelmed with the support I have received from friends and family around the world. I am still some ways from meeting my target of Rs 1 Lakh – I welcome anyone who would still like to contribute and help me meet the goal. Contributions can be made via check or Bangalorecares(INR) or GiveIndia or Paypal – see the RHS of this page for more details.

No comments:

FM or HM or DNS ?

 Are the three options that I am grappling with for the Avenue of Giants marathon less than 2 weeks away. Unable to do even the two 30K+ ru...