Saturday, October 18, 2008

Misbehaving Garmin Forerunner 305



I have owned a Garmin Forerunner 305 since July 2007 - a device with a GPS receiver and a wireless heart rate monitor that has made significant contribution to the improvement in my long distance running over the last year or so. While initially I used the device to monitor and control my heart rate during speed training (tempo or fartlek runs) subsequently I have become addicted to the pace data that it provides on a real-time basis. Now when I set out on a run I break down the target distance and completion time in terms of the average pace(Minutes per Km) required to achieve it. I then fine tune my pace by continually monitoring the current and average pace during my run. eg to finish around 4:30 in tomorrow's KTM I plan to keep my average pace around 6 and a half minutes per Km. (There are several pace calculators on the net - this one is quite cool!). I am so used to the gadget now that I often wonder how I trained and ran my first 7 marathons without one. So much so that I am not too satisfied with a run if I don't have the Garmin 305 on my wrist or if the battery dies during a run.

The main reason for this post is that since the last 2 months or so my Garmin device has started misbehaving. I have experienced a couple of issues:
a) At times it seemed to be losing time ie showing a lower time and distance than actual - this happened for the first time at the Hyderabad marathon in August - the device showed 3:59 and 41.2Km at the finish. Of course, I ignored the distance and was thrilled thinking I had done my first sub 4 hr marathon only to realise later that my Garmin had acted up!

b) The bigger problem is that increasing frequency the device powers off with a message saying low battery when powering it on in the morning even if it has been fully charged the night before. This is irritating as then I have to run without the device. This seems to be a known problem with the device. Checkout Garmin Edge 305 Lockup / Not Powering Up Problems or Power Problems with Garmin 305 . I continue to get the problem on and off even after implementing the suggested solution.

I hope the device works fine during KTM tomorrow - I intend to update the firmware on it soon thereafter.

No comments:

Evolving training plan for AoG

My first run after the Delhi marathon   was  a 10Km on Friday, 8th March - after almost 2 weeks break  from all excercise except walking and...