Sunday, November 22, 2009

Kicking off Fund raising for Dream A Dream




For the fourth year in a row I am  raising funds for Dream A Dream - an NGO that I have been personally involved with since 2007. Founded in 1999, Dream A Dream empowers children from vulnerable backgrounds by developing life skills while at the same time sensitizing the community through active volunteering leading to a non-discriminatory society where unique differences are appreciated.  
Dream A Dream provides children from vulnerable backgrounds with non-traditional educational opportunities designed to allow them to explore, innovate and build important life skills. These life skills are fundamental to child/youth development and to the successful transition into adulthood and becoming fully functioning and productive members of our society. Dream A Dream programs allow children to develop:

· Interpersonal skills including teamwork, communications, negotiation and coping skills
· Cognitive skills such as decision-making, problem solving and critical thinking
· Creativity, confidence, self-awareness and a passion for learning

As a volunteer in the IT program and as a mentor I  have experienced the tremendous impact of Dream A Dream's programs on vulnerable children. I am extremely impressed with the work done by them and the passion and sincerity of the employees and the co-founder Vishal. So when I got an opportunity in August 2009 to engage with them more deeply as a trustee on the board of directors I took it up gladly.

Like the past three years, I am raising funds for Dream A Dream via my runs and between the Ultra in November 2009, Mumbai marathon in January 2010 and Auroville marathon in February 2010 my target is  to better the Rs 2 Lakhs that I raised last year. For this I am banking on the goodwill and support of friends and family around the world.  Contributions can be made either via check or online(currently only for overseas contributors;  online payment gateway for contributions in INR is coming soon) - see the Right Hand Side of this blog for specific details. Go ahead and make a contribution and help make a difference to our society!!

No comments:

Evolving training plan for AoG

My first run after the Delhi marathon   was  a 10Km on Friday, 8th March - after almost 2 weeks break  from all excercise except walking and...