After a hiatus of two years I am back to raising funds for a cause during the 2013 running season. I will start the season with the TCS World 10K on May 19th 2013 and hope to end it with the Boston marathon on 21st April 2014 with the Hyderabad marathon, Mumbai marathon and the Bangalore ultra marathon in between. I am raising funds for Gita Krishnamurthy Vidyalaya a school for under-privileged children in Sankarnagar, Tirunelveli district, Tamil Nadu that I have been personally involved with for over 3 years as a trustee of Gita Krishnamurhty Trust.
The school is named after my aunt a wonderful dedicated teacher who passed away due to cancer in Dec 2002. Summary of the current status of the school:
- GKV was started on June 05, 2009 with 145 students of LKG, UKG and Class 1 as a sister school of Sri Jayendra Golden Jubilee School Sankarnagar and is being administered by Sri Jai Sankara trust
- Class 4 has been added from June 2012, the fourth year of operation of the School and a new batch of 74 children - 35 Girls and 39 Boys inducted in LKG. The total strength is now 348 children
- 90% of the children are first generation school goers from impoverished and socially backward families from the surrounding areas in Tirunelveli district
- 50% of the children are girls
- The goal is to provide a rich curriculum focused on all round development of children.
- Propose to add Class 5 in the Academic Year 2013/14
- Currently the school operates out of a rented facility
- 2.9 acres of land has been acquired in order to build a school with spacious class rooms, play areas with adequate play equipment, Library, auditorium, activity rooms , Labs etc in phases
- We propose to construct 9000 sq.ft. of the school building progressively over the next year or so
We are seeking funds for operating expenses as well as building construction. A contribution of Rs 2500/- (approx US $ 50) will support the annual cost of books and uniform for a child while Rs 5000/- (approx US $100) will support the costs of educating a child for a year. Contributions can be made either in INR or US $. See here for more details including bank account details etc. This video gives a brief visual summary of the school and its current impact. The contributions are tax exempt in India. All donors can choose to receive periodic updates on the progress of the school and the status and utilization of funds raised. Any other support in terms of setting up the library,computer lab etc is also most welcome.
Look forward to generous support from friends and family specially those who have supported my fundraising efforts in the past. Feel free to get in touch with me if you have any questions or need more information.