Sunday, December 25, 2022

TMM 2023 - Targeting the slowest ever FM finish

Ending the year 2022 with mixed feelings and more than the usual share of anxiety leading upto TMM 2023. On the one hand,  looking forward to experiencing the buzz , energy and comraderie at India's largest marathon event in 3 weeks from now, after a break of 3 years. On the other hand ,for the first time in 20 years of long distance running,  I am apprehensive as to  whether I would be able to cross the FM finish line (for the 16th time  in Mumbai) or return with my 1st DNF at this event(2nd ever at a FM event).  The reason being  Neurogenic claudication (the loss of neural co-ordination between the brain,spine  and the leg ) that I have been diagnosed with , after 6 visits to the physio clinic , an MRI and a doppler test in consultation with an ortho and neurosurgeon. Due to these visits to Dr G, I am considerably under prepared for a marathon with just 2 runs of 32Km+ vis-a-vis the usual 4-5 in a training cycle. And neither of these runs went too well. One was a 3:36 min, 32K at the end of November and the other a 3:59 min, 34K yesterday. Both these runs went reasonably ok till about 25K (at average pace of 6:30/K). Post that the left glutes pain and the left foot heaviness resulted in significant drop in pace. Yesterday's run was compounded by severe cramps in the right quads  - something that rarely happens during my runs. 

I am hoping that the expereince of running so many marathons, the adrenaline of a big race and proper pacing (6:30/Km in the 1st half and around  7/Km thereafter ) should enable me to finish the race in about 5 hours - my slowest ever FM finish.

No comments:

FM or HM or DNS ?

 Are the three options that I am grappling with for the Avenue of Giants marathon less than 2 weeks away. Unable to do even the two 30K+ ru...