Saturday, May 9, 2020

Longest layoff from running

I had to stay off from running for a few months , due to problem in my knees, after completing my first full marathon in Jan 2003. Since completing a half marathon in the first edition of Mumbai marathon in February 2004 I have been fortunate to be able to run pretty much continuously for 16 years till February 2020. Of course, its not that I did not have my share of periodic breaks due to  injuries. But usually the down time has not been for more than few weeks at a time and has of late been more to take a break between two seasons. Never have I had to layoff running for 3 months - my last run was on 16th March 2020. And as of now I am not sure when I will be able to resume. Hopefully it will be soon after I meet a physio in the next week or two.  Being completely off any form of excercise for so long is a real bummer specially when one has more time available. The continuing dull pain in and around the right ankle, pain in both quads and right glutes after sitting in one place for more than 30-45m is worrying to say the least. Not being able to consult anyone about it due to the Covid19 lockdown is very frustrating. It is causing a tremendous psychological and mental stress and driving me insane . And on top of it despite trying to maintain a fairly controlled diet the weight has gone out of control. It has steadily gone up to touch 58Kg now and I can clearly sense the increased fat around my waist . The weight is as high as it has ever been in the last 10 years or so. Need to ensure that it does exceed 60Kgs at any cost. Else it will be a huge challenge to bring it back down to the optimum of around 55Kg. 

Need to be optimistic that this too will pass and I will get over the current injury woes in time to be able to run the Mumbai marathon in January 2021. 

No comments:

FM or HM or DNS ?

 Are the three options that I am grappling with for the Avenue of Giants marathon less than 2 weeks away. Unable to do even the two 30K+ ru...