Sunday, September 29, 2013

A major milestone accomplished..acceptance into Boston 2014...



The registrations for Boston marathon 2014 opened on 9th September 2013 following the same 'rolling admission' schedule as the previous year. As per this process  I was able to register on the evening of Monday 16th September - one of over 8000 runners who registered during that week for 5000 spots. After 10 long days of excruciating waiting, filled with countless visits to BAA website, BAA Facebook page and Runners World discussion forums speculating the cut-off time, I was thrilled to make it to Boston 2014. I got the acceptance mail from BAA on 25th September around 11:15PM. Unfortunately, nearly 3000 runners who BQ'ed and applied missed out due to the cut-off of BQ-1:38.  I squeaked a BQ by just 3 seconds at the Mohawk Hudson River Marathon in October 2012. Fortunately I was able to better this at SCMM in January 2013 with a time of 3:37:20. 

I was focused on getting an entry into Boston marathon since July 2011 and my training and choice of running events has been focused around this goal for the last 2 years. Having achieved this there is now a temporary feeling of vacuum. I plan to run in two events before Boston 2014 ( Bangalore Ultra on 9th November and SCMM on 19th January 2014) and the goal now is to arrive at the start line in Hopkington on 21st April 2014 injury free and well trained! 

PS. Hope to write details of the Boston 2014 registraion process, field size, cut-off speculations and discussions around these in a future post


No comments:

Evolving training plan for AoG

My first run after the Delhi marathon   was  a 10Km on Friday, 8th March - after almost 2 weeks break  from all excercise except walking and...