Sunday, August 5, 2012

5K PB at Puma Urban Stampede 2012

Running as the first runner as part of the Alcatel-Lucent CXS/Motive team at Puma Urban Stampede 2012 I managed to complete the 5K in just under 22:05 beating my previous best from Duathalon 2010 by nearly 50 seconds!! My previous best  at Urban Stampede was 24:54 in the 2008 edition!! I was certainly helped by ideal weather conditions and the fast pace set by a number of runners. Considering that till the previous evening I was nursing a sprain in my right lower back I am extremely satisfied with my run. On the other hand skipping my long run (13 miles at 8:34 per mile) on Saturday probably helped me. The other three runners in my team finished in between 30 and 35 minutes for a team time of 2:07 or so. Need to check the exact timings when the results are out later this week.

Riding with Harish, a colleague from Alcatel-Lucent, I left the Domlur signal at 5:10am and reached Clarke's Exotica right at 6am - we were among the first runners to get there. By 6:30am there were lots of runners around.  The holding area  and race start was outside the resort property The race was compered by Atul who is very good at this. The race was flagged off pretty much on time at 7:02 am. I took off at a reasonably good pace and completed the 1st mile in 6:43. The second mile took 7:07 probably due to a gradient just before the U turn point at 2.5Km. I was able to pick up pace in the third mile for a time of 6:59 to keep the overall 5K time just around 22 minutes! The race organisation was great - the runner name and company name in black on a black background on the bibs made it a little difficult for others to read the names. The event itself has come a long way since the 1st edition in 2008 which started with 78 teams. This year saw   participation from over 350 teams!!The top three teams in the men's category were all from Toyota (yet again) with terrific timings. After a sumptuous breakfast and photo shooting on the podium we left the resort at 10am and got home around 11:15am after a highly satisfying morning!! 

No comments:

Evolving training plan for AoG

My first run after the Delhi marathon   was  a 10Km on Friday, 8th March - after almost 2 weeks break  from all excercise except walking and...