Sunday, January 9, 2011

Run Less, Run Faster ..the 3Plus2 training program from FIRST


I just completed reading this book and have decided to try this program for my next road marathon in 2011-2012(either Hyderabad marathon in August 2011 or SCMM in January 2012). The weekly mileage advocated by this program is lower compared to most other training programs. The FIRST program suggests running on alternate days 3 times of the week. However, it specifies that each run of the week be of a different type(tempo, interval, long run) and also the intensity of the run in terms of pace. This means though the weekly mileage is lower the intensity of training is higher compared to most other programs. Another critical component of the FIRST training program is two weeks of cross-training which can be cycling,swimming etc.  And hence the 3plus2 concept.

In some form I already do the 3plus2 training. I usually run 3 days and cycle 2 days a week. I also do one tempo run and one long run almost every week. However neither of these are usually done with a target goal pace and I have never ever done interval training program. I am looking forward to doing the the 16 weeks  FIRST program with a target FM time of 3:55 in the 2011-2012 running season.

3 comments:

Shantanu said...

can I borrow it ?

manoj said...

Interval trainings are 'First-Class'. I have had very good results with them last year. I intend to continue with them during off-season too...

Bhasker Sharma said...

Sure Shantanu - will loan it to u post Mumbai. Yes Manoj - I have refrained from interval training but I need to do it to improve any further.

Evolving training plan for AoG

My first run after the Delhi marathon   was  a 10Km on Friday, 8th March - after almost 2 weeks break  from all excercise except walking and...